Monday, April 8, 2019

Rebirth Update #6...

Click here for Update #1...
Click here for Update #2...
Click here for Update #3...
Click here for Update #4...
Click here for Update #5...
Click here for Update #7...
Click here for Update #8...
Click here for Update #9...
Click here for Update #10...

While waiting for more parts and accessories to arrive, all special ordered, and some which had to be manufactured, I whiled away my time with smaller projects, such as replacing the paddle latches on the Rawson-Koenig toolboxes under the flatbed...the truck was purchased without keys to the existing locks, and ordering new ones from Rawson-Koenig only turned up some that were unusable because of wrong operating levers and their being permanently welded to the assembly...Grainger often has hard to find parts, and a trip to the local outlet with the old part in hand proved hopeful as the salesclerk ordered new cylinders for me based on her catalog descriptions...Alas these arrived and were also unusable because they would not engage the latch plunger...

At this point, I thought I should look for new latch assemblies instead of trying to replace the lock cylinders...Amazon lists many different styles and sizes, not all of which show their dimensions...Choosing from the ones which offered their dimensions, I ordered two new complete assemblies keyed alike...On arrival these were found to be not quite dimensionally identical to the old latches, but the lock cylinders were the right ones...But to make them work on the old latches I would have to cut away some of the supporting framework on the doors...Never being one to shy away from a challenge, I got out the tools and started cutting...

The old latches were fastened from the inside to the framework I had cut away, necessitating drilling new holes to mount the latches to the outside of the doors...Once this was done the latches were reinstalled with machine screws, new lock cylinders installed and tested for correct contact with the plungers...I had to adjust the latch faces on the boxes to get a tighter fit for the doors, but all turned out well...At least until I filled the boxes with what equipment I wished to carry for roadside use, and went to lock everything away for the night...This is when I found the "keyed alike" locks were not keyed alike...I had four keys to one of the locks, and none for the other...However a quick message to the Amazon seller got an apology and a new correct cylinder shipped immediately...It's good to be able to lock the meager contents of the boxes away from uninvited fingers...

In anticipation of another upcoming addition, I bought two steel gate pulls, and installed them on the headache rack as grab handles...The biggest item for this update is the Tough Country front bumper which arrived and was installed at Texan Hitch in Conroe today...Owners George and Robert specialize in customer satisfaction above all else...Like most business owners they stock what is popular, but when a finicky customer (like me) comes in, and can't be satisfied with what is on the shelf, they go the extra mile to please the customer...I noticed this low-key business approach on my first visit, and consequently came back to Texan when I was ready to buy...

The new bumper was ordered, and after a short wait (which always seems longer) it arrived at Texan Hitch, and I made the appointment for installation...I was in and out in an hour...I couldn't be more pleased with the product and the service...Those readers wishing to refresh their memories from the beginning of this saga can begin reading here, then follow the list of updates at the top right of each page...New photos were added at the bottom of the photo essay here...In the new photos the front bumper is the only clean part of the truck following yesterday's mudstorm...


More articles concerning Transportation/Motorsports...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and critiques are always welcome, and will be reviewed before publication...They will not be seen immediately...Keep it clean please...