Thursday, September 21, 2017

Rest In Peace, Bitesize...

8/10/2003 - 9/21/2017

Pet Parents' Ten Commandments


1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be
very painful. 


2. Give me time to understand what you want from me. Do not break my spirit
with your temper, though I will always forgive you. Your patience and
understanding will teach me more quickly those things you want me to learn. 


3. Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more
grateful for your kindness than mine. Don't be angry with me for long, and
don't lock me up as punishment. After all, you have your job, your friends,
your entertainment. I have only you. 


4. Speak to me often. Even if I don't understand all your words, I
understand your voice when it's speaking to me. Your voice is the sweetest
sound I ever hear, as you must know by my enthusiastic excitement when your
footsteps fall upon my waiting ear. 


5. Please take me inside when it's cold and wet. I'm a domestic animal and
no longer am accustomed to the bitter elements. I ask for little more than
your gentle hands petting me. 


6. Keep my bowl filled with clean water; I cannot tell you when I'm thirsty.
Feed me good food so that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your
bidding, to be by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to share with
you my life, for that is what I live for. However you treat me, I'll never
forget it. 


7. Don't hit me. Remember, I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in
your hand, but I choose not to bite you. 


8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if
something might be bothering me. Perhaps I am not getting the right food, I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak. 


9. Take care of me when I get old. You will grow old, too. 


10. When I am very old, when I no longer enjoy good health, please do not
make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having fun. Just see to it
that my trusting life is taken gently. And be with me on that difficult
journey when it is time to say "goodbye". Never say, "I can't bear to watch."
Everything is easier for me when you are there. I will leave this earth
knowing with my last breath that my fate was always safest in your hands.
Remember - I love you. 

-- Author Unknown


A very special thanks to Dr. Joanie Ree, and all the caring souls at Tender Paws in Conroe...
And the kind heart who composed the above words has my eternal gratitude...
Bitesize was a good little girl...

More articles concerning Other Thoughts...

3 comments:

  1. I just read the poem again and though I've already said something I have no idea what it was. I'm sitting here with my pup in my lap and thinking how grateful I am while worried to death that I'll die before her, she is with all but about an hour every ten days (Grocery's) and the whole time I worry to death about her, silly old man.Well there's my bunch of nothing, the poem brought a tear so I figured I'd throw something up here in memory of the girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike...Knowing I can't outlive another one is why I'm alone...

      Delete
  2. I just got out of the hospital for a month. I got home and ran straight for my dog. She was covered in fleas all the hair was chewed off her back abock her tail, there was a big bald spot on her tail, she had a big bloody hole in her ear and had lost 8? pounds. I wanted to kill somebody but I was down to 125 beat to hell, in other words bad shape. I took her up to my ransacked room and cried for an hour.

    ReplyDelete

Comments and critiques are always welcome, and will be reviewed before publication...They will not be seen immediately...Keep it clean please...