Thursday, September 22, 2016

Overcoming Adversity...

As a performance car obsessed young man becoming of age in the late 1950's/early 1960's, I looked for one name first in the automotive magazines I subscribed to as each new issue was delivered...Thumbing past the shiny eye candy depicted on each cover of Hot Rod, Car Craft, Rod & Custom or other publications of the day, I quickly scanned the table of contents for Roger Huntington's byline, knowing that after I read his latest article, the mysteries of applying power to pavement would become a little clearer to my teenage mind...

I noted to myself that although I never saw him pictured (other than an author's credit headshot) as a participant or even a spectator at any event or enthusiast's gathering, when he was mentioned by other writers it was always in reverence to his vast knowledge of what it took to produce horsepower and make it work in a performance car...Today almost nothing is written of him on internet sites to tell the present and future generations who he was; there isn't even a Wikipedia entry...

Huntington had a knack for explaining the most complex engineering principles in words that even an untrained amateur could understand, and did it in a way that made it entertaining enough to hold the reader's attention long enough to learn something...Until recently, when I rediscovered my stash of automotive magazines from the 50's, 60's and 70's, I knew very little about the man behind the typewriter...

Born in the 20's, he had a productive life ahead of him when a diving accident left him permanently paralyzed from the chest down while he was still a teenager...Unlike many who would have given up their dreams of a higher education, he redoubled his efforts by becoming a self-taught engineer, eventually recognized for his talents by full membership induction into the Society of Automotive Engineers...

His fascination with making mechanical power, and applying it to practical applications, led him first into understanding the vast and sudden improvements in aircraft engines in WWII, leading to his first published article in 1948...From there his natural progression took him to the performance side of the automobile industry where he became a much sought after consultant in the race for dependable horsepower...

He could never be tied down to one manufacturer as he sought ways of tweaking more power and making it work where the rubber meets the road on GM, Ford and Chrysler products as well...But his true talent was in drawing together more and more enthusiasts to the burgeoning sports of hot-rodding and drag racing through the print media...

And he did it the hard way; his paralysis left him with only limited use of his right arm and hand...As difficult as it must have been to get through the prodigious reading list it took to become the highly qualified and respected engineer he was, imagine the effort it took to write the many books and thousands of technical articles he authored, producing each page by pecking at a typewriter keyboard with a pencil clutched in his right fist...

Even today, almost thirty years after his death, some of his books are still available to the lucky few who can find them, and others of us are lucky enough to have saved all the old magazines our Moms thought we wasted our money on buying...Nor was he content to be pushed about in a wheelchair; he owned and operated his own cars fitted to be driven by paraplegics...

Today he serves a new purpose for me every time I think about how tough my life is, and how unfair it is that I've reached this point in life without accomplishing all my goals, I remember Roger Huntington and how he inspired a young kid to build his own street machines, and make his own mistakes and learn from them...If he could do all he did from a wheelchair, then maybe I'm not quite done yet...

I'm further reminded of a young man of my acquaintance whom I see occasionally at Church on what I refer to as his "fancy walking sticks"...Observing his progress since childhood, I've noted over the years that he walks forth into the world carrying a smile, and seemingly never a burden...

I predict that, like Roger Huntington, he will be recalled by future generations for his spirit and accomplishment in whatever field of endeavor he chooses to enter...I pity any fool who stands against him...

There are worse ways to be remembered...Thanks, guys!...


More articles concerning Transportation/Motorsports...

2 comments:

Comments and critiques are always welcome, and will be reviewed before publication...They will not be seen immediately...Keep it clean please...