Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Century...

As a way of marking my 100th article for this blog, I decided to note a few of the changes and continuations I have witnessed in this 21st century...Being resistant to change as usual, I have finally become accustomed to referencing the correct numbering when marking the date on checks and other documents...Being a relative newcomer to the computing world, I prepared for the Y2K event as best as possible, and was relieved to find it a non-event after all...

Booting from office a President who concentrated more on prurient rather than presidential interests, was an inspiring way to begin another hundred, but unfortunately the even worse spectre of his avaricious wife as President haunted the political world for some time...Fortunately for America and the world, that evil genie may be back in the bottle for good...Many (but not this writer) may have forgotten her attempt to commandeer a seventh of the US economy by her mysterious "plan" to which she would not allow details to be released...

One thing positive may be said for the above mentioned pair; they were two of the best gun salespersons in history, and were partly the reason I left a 35 year career in auto repair for the firearms industry, first as a part-time business, then full time co-owning our county's largest gun store and first indoor shooting range...The fear they put in the minds of the public, some of whom had never even considered owning guns, drove firearms sales to record heights...

Their successor ushered in a new and brighter era to the gun industry by indicating he would not sign an extension of the onerous, and curiously mis-named, federal "assault weapon" ban allowing it to die in unpitied agony thanks to the almost unknown sunset provision written into the law by Congress...This spurred new sales as ten round magazines were reduced to paperweights and doorstops, while standard capacity magazines and accessories such as folding stocks and flash hiders boomed...Naturally, those who had invested heavily in "pre-ban" guns and magazines were crestfallen to watch the value of such items plummet...

On a less cheerful note, I allowed my trusting and generous nature to be taken advantage of by a corrupt and malevolent spirit who, while my attention was centered on my new business, steered me through a marriage and subsequent divorce, thereby reducing the chances of fulfilling many retirement plans...During this time I was lulled by false promises into giving up two vehicles and a comfortable home, to be replaced by mountainous debt and a lasting regret...

But all ended on a positive note, as a lesson was learned, although a costly one...Recently I donated some clothing to one of my favorite charities, and told the nice lady writing the receipt that the coat I was donating had a curse on it...She stopped writing and looked up, but I explained to her the coat was one I had worn at my wedding, however the curse had been lifted in divorce court...

Other lessons were learned admittedly late concerning business, and whom to trust as well as whom to avoid...It is doubtful whether I will break retirement to begin any new commercial ventures, but if so, I can only pray that memory won't let me down...

I have learned that lamenting past mistakes is non-productive, and the only sensible direction in life is forward...It is hoped that the lessons learned so far in this century will be of benefit in whatever time I am allotted towards the next...


More articles concerning Other Thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and critiques are always welcome, and will be reviewed before publication...They will not be seen immediately...Keep it clean please...