Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Letter...

No, we're not talking about a letter from the IRS, or any ex-girlfriend's lawyer...Today's topic concerns the letter "H"...In doing my periodic inventory of articles I've written (I have to make sure none of them escaped), I find quite a few topics centered around the letter "H"...Naturally Herr Hitler figures prominently considering my interest in WWII...

History in general is a common topic here...Health gets a few write-ups too, although I can't point to my own as exemplary...Even my admittedly odd sense of Humor figures into a few of my topics...Add to these Handguns, Honor, Heredity, High courts, etc.; well, you see where I'm going with this...

I also discuss Heart to some extent, and not only in a Healthwise fashion...Heart also describes a combination of courage and decision, the kind that we never know we possess until the moment comes when it defines us...Few of us even know whether we have it in quantity or quality until the time arrives to show our cards...

My congressman, Kevin Brady, who represents me and his other constituents in Washington DC, had his moment a few years ago during an occasion which brought back memories of my own earlier days...Those who know me know that I do not attempt to hide my abuse of alcohol when I was a much younger man...Many of us bear this cross to varying extents, and willingly or not, we accept its consequences...

When I read of Congressman Brady's moment of truth, I took particular interest remembering my own reactions when faced with the same encounter...My own experiences with lawmen who found my condition behind the wheel to be unsafe ended as I knew they must...Inevitably, the law comes out on top, and, knowing this, I complied with whatever was required of me by the law's representatives, accepting the consequences of my actions...

My own experiences ended long before DUI became the seriously taken subject which it rightly has...Congressman Brady's dilemma on the other hand, was compounded not only by increased public awareness of the problem of impaired driving, but also the attending publicity he must have known would result from media coverage of an elected official...

In following the story in the news, I found that Congressman Brady at no time attempted to shirk his responsibility by hiding behind his office, or claiming any special privileges as I have seen many other public figures do in similar situations...From the moment he faced a lawman at the side of the road, he complied fully with what was expected of him, later stating he would accept the decision of any court which heard his case, even if the result was detrimental to his career...

Other high-profile officials might have, and have in many cases, tried every trick available to avoid responsibility...To his great credit, and the credit of those whom he represents, my congressman stood in the harsh light of reality, accepting the court's decisions, then returned to the job for which we hired him...Those who know me, also know of my belief in limiting the terms of those we elect to office...But when a shining example of everyday heroism steps forth, an exception is made in my mind...

Obviously others share my estimation of Congressman Brady, as he has continued his career in Washington, now chairing the House Ways and Means Committee, directing the budgetary requirements of our nation...He also is known as a champion of the welfare of veterans, seeing to it that our needs are addressed even in an ever-increasing workload of those medical professionals attending to those of us in need...

Yes, Heroism is one of those "H" words, just as Heart is...Congressman Brady, by his actions and demeanor, has earned my trust, and continues to have my support at the polls regardless of my stance on term limits...Hardiness is another trait of which he must be in possession; otherwise, 20 years of service as my Congressman in the meatgrinder of Washington politics might have reduced a stack of tough cordwood into sawdust...I'll see him again at fundraisers and ceremonies, and no doubt he won't recognize my face, but may see in my eyes that glint of recognition from one who has been there with him...

"H" also stands for Height, and having stood in close proximity to him at various local fundraisers and swearing-in ceremonies, I suspect, at my height of 6'4", I may have a slight advantage over him in a game of basketball, but considering the amount of Heart he displays in everyday life, he stands tall in my estimation...Like many other Texans of whom we native born folks know and approve, Kevin Brady wasn't born in Texas, but he got here as quick as he could...

We expect he'll stick around for a while...We need his kind...


More articles concerning Other Thoughts...

More articles concerning Politics...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and critiques are always welcome, and will be reviewed before publication...They will not be seen immediately...Keep it clean please...